Sunday, January 12, 2014

This Week Blog featuring Ronald Paxton





What would you say is the most favorite part of being an author?
The process of creating a cast of characters and sending them off on some sort of adventure is fun and exciting as well as satisfying. That’s true whether I’m writing a novel or a short story.
Do you stick to one kind of book? Mystery, suspense, thriller, romance?
   My publisher categorizes my works as Contemporary/Inspirational. I try to tell a good story with compelling characters. I don’t worry about having it fit a specific genre. I would describe my writing as family drama with mystery and suspense elements, as well as a dash of romance.
 
  If you had to tell new writers something important about becoming an author what would it be?
Don’t quit your day job! Write because you need to write; because you’ve got a story to tell or something important to say; write because you feel like you’ll explode if you don’t. Don’t fear rejection and don’t dwell on it. Keep writing and keep submitting. Getting published is not a quick or easy process. Don’t give up.
 Out of all your books do you favor one over another? If so why?
 I don’t really have a favorite. They are all set in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia where I grew up, so I feel very connected to the stories. I really enjoyed writing “Deep Water,” the first of three Salem Matthews novels. “Winter Songs” and the sequel, “Haven,” are very special to me. I love the Howard family.
  How do you come up with your stories?
I let my mind wander. I don’t force it. My muse takes frequent vacations and I have to wait for it to return! I keep a legal pad on my writing desk where I jot down plot notes and storyline ideas. It’s not something that is set in stone. The story will evolve, maybe even change significantly, as I write it. If I’m having trouble coming up with a story idea I’ll approach it from a different direction by creating a group of characters and building a story around them.
 
  Do you base your characters from people you know or are they completely fictional?
   The characters are entirely fictional but some of them have been inspired by real people. My daughter was the inspiration for “Winter Songs” and the character of Emma. There are a few composites but the majority of my characters come entirely from my imagination with no connection to people I know or have met throughout my life.
  Besides writing what would you say is your most favorite thing to do?
Probably reading. I guess that goes without saying; I’ve never heard of a writer who doesn’t love to read. I also love the ocean and enjoy walking or jogging, and I have a cat that demands my attention.
  What do you want to accomplish in writing books?
Well, I’m certainly not James Patterson or Stephen King but I would like to create a body of work for readers and people in my life to enjoy. I guess we all want to leave a footprint behind, however modest, that will survive our passing. Beyond that, I would like to sell a lot of books and would dearly love to sell the film rights to one of my novels. I think “Winter Songs” would make a great Hallmark channel movie.
 
How would you define Ronald Paxton?
Ronald is a kind-hearted family man who married his high school sweetheart 43 years ago. He’s quiet but passionate, opinionated, judgmental, and occasionally irreverent, and his sense of humor is pretty warped. There is nothing more important to him than being a good husband and father.
 
 
 
 
*** Links where people can find you ***
 
People can find me here:
I also have an author’s page at:
The following are the links to my novels on Amazon:
 
I love hearing from readers and welcome e-mails at:
 
 
So I hope you have enjoyed learning a little bit about Ronald Paxton. I have read Winter Songs and it is definitely a MUST READ. If you are looking for a loving story about family and trials and how to pull together when times are threatening. Then you should read Winter Songs. As far as Deep Water well it's definitely on my "To Read List". Good Luck Ronald, you have great talent ! !
Till Next time my peeps, Happy Reading :)
AJ
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
    
 
 
 
 
    
 

 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment